Friday, July 20, 2007

Where do you sit at the table?

I have lots of bird houses, bird baths and bird feeders in my yard. I love to sit and watch the different types of birds that are attracted to the feeders. I have loads of Cardinals, all types of sparrows, a woodpecker that visits from time to time, blue jays, Robins (they do not feed at the feeders but come by the flocks to feed in the front yard) and they all feed and bath together without any problems. Some birds are loud and have no problem letting anyone who will listen what their needs are; the others don’t pay them much attention. All come together at one table to eat. The only problem they have is the cat from across the street that wanders over from time to time and tries to turn one of my bird feeders into a feline dinner. I have got pretty good with a sling shoot; I can run those pesky cats back across the road with their tails tucked. I have one large area that I put food for the chipmunks and squirrels. The crows stop by and spend time eating with Bother Squirrel. We have a doe and her 2 fawns that come to the edge of the woods and watch the going on’s. A mother fox with two young puppies’ can be seen from time to time playing just outside the tree line. I have not seen any armadillos, but I know they are in the area. There is nothing better in my little corner of the world than to sit on the front porch and watch God’s creatures.

THEN – there are the hummingbirds! I have 5 count them 5 hummingbird feeders and they fight over them like there is only one and I am going to take it away any minute! I sit and watch them perch on a tree limb close to the feeder they have declared as their own. Mind you, there is at least 2 cups of nectar in each feeder, more than enough to feed a number of small hummingbirds for days no matter how hunger they are. There is no sharing; it is not going to happen. If a misguided hummer gets anywhere near the “previously claimed” feeder he will be dive bombed. This little scene is played out all day over and over – no wonder they are so thirsty they expend a lot of energy trying to chase their brothers away. A strange truth is – during nesting season they will all feed peacefully from the same feeder. As soon as the fledging has flown the coop it is every man or woman for themselves.

As I watch the show that nature puts on for me I cannot help but think “how much like real life it is”. Our world is made up of so many different types of people. Not only are we different sizes, shapes and colors but we have different ways of looking at how to share the table. Some feel that their rightful place is always on the high perch eating the first and best. Others feel unworthy to even sit at the table and eat the left over droppings on the ground. Some are afraid to come and join the feast, they stay in the shades and watch, maybe no one has ever asked them to come and eat.

Where do you think your place at the table is? Jesus said “the last will be first” and “whatever you do for the least of my people you do for me”. It breaks my heart to think that a single person will go to bed hungry tonight. I have been so very blessed all my life. On a mission trip to South America a few years ago I realized just how spoiled I am. I am also well aware of the fact that I cannot solve the problem of world hunger. I do know that I can take the lower perch when opportunity presents itself to let someone less fortunate than me have the first and the best. I can buy someone a meal, pay for a bus ticket, and even let someone use my cell phone to call a loved one. Mother Teresa said - We do not have to do “great thing” we only have to do small things with great love. Do you love your brother enough to let him sit on the top perch?

No comments:

Post a Comment