Sunday, July 1, 2007

When I get old I will smoke cigars and wear purple


Have you ever spent the night trying to remember something? Well, I had one of those nights! Before I fell asleep I was trying to remember the bible readings for the day. It had only been a few hours since we attended Mass but for the life of me I could not remember the Gospel reading. We had a visiting Priest – our Priest is on vacation for a couple of weeks – he is retired and spends his weekends filling in for priest. I really enjoyed his Homily and could remember most of the sage wisdom he passed on. BUT for the life of me the gospel reading that he was talking about escaped me. Guess it was my part-timers kicking in. So, every time I woke up my feeble mind was still trying to reach in to space and come up with the verse. I woke up with a headache, and wouldn’t you know it as soon as I got up this morning and had a cup of coffee I remembered. It would have been no problem to go to the daily readings on line and look it up but OH NO that would be too simple. I have this great fear of “loosing” what little mind I have so I try and give it a work out whenever possible – why it wants to work at night while I am trying to sleep is beyond me. I have to stay as alert as possible for as long as possible. My kids are lurking in the background just waiting to pick out my nursing home and pay back for all the “wonderful” entertaining things I did to them will be HELL. No, I was not a clothes hanger beating Mom – I have always loved life and laughter – sometimes my laughs came at their expense. When they were teenagers they bought me a dog to play with on Saturday mornings so I would not wake them up so early to play with me. I woke my son up early one morning to see the rabbit in the backyard, his comment “Mom we live in the country we always have rabbits in the yard – DAD come and get Mom and play with her.” I now have a grandson and I can tell you playing with him is the most fun I have had any many a years. Laughter comes easy for a 2 year old, rolling in the grass or spraying Ya Ya with the water hose can bring on fits of uncontrollable giggles. There is no sweeter sound that my grandsons laughter and no better site than the smile on his face when he sees me. Yes, I may have part-timers and recalling the lady across the roads name is a stretch for me some days but none of this matters to my grandson. Maybe I will let him pick out my nursing home!

No comments:

Post a Comment